Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tribute to Alta

2 weeks after we got Alta


Alta and his best friend Rocky. Rocky still sits on our front porch and waits for Alta to come outside and play.

One of my favorite things is when Alta would snuggle up to me-Always!

I thought I'ld give myself a couple days to post the tragic story of our sweet Alta so that I wouldn't cry, but as I sit here thinking about what to say the tears are still in abundance. A week ago today while the kids and I were at Aunt Susan's cabin, Rory was backing out of the driveway to go to church and had forgotten that he had let Alta out that morning. Alta heard the garage door going up and as he ran to greet whoever was on their way, instead he met Rory's back tire. Rory felt horrible and held it in all weekend so as not to ruin our trip.
Once he gave us the news my heart broke, Austin wanted to know if we could get a new dog on Saturday and Ellie wasn't sure how to react. She tried to hold back her tears with a smile and fake laugh, but in the end it was even too much for her and she broke down crying. Rory probablly doesn't want the world to know, but yes, he cried too.
The morning after we got back to town we had a little funeral for Alta. As cliche as this might sound- Alta wasn't just a dog. He was part of the family. He was truely my 4th child. I loved him like a child and he brought to me the same joy and often times frustrations that my own children bring me. He was a great dog- He was gentle with the kids despite the abuse they gave him. Beck would pull his ears and tail and Alta would just sit there. Yes- he did sleep at the foot of our bed, always on my side, right in between my legs,except when Rory was out of town and then he jumped in the bed and crawled under the covers and slept right beside me.
He kept me company even when I didn't want him to. He followed me to every room of the house when I would clean. He waited for me outside the bathroom. When I would leave and Rory was home, he would wait at the back door until I got back and I was always greeted with the most enthusiastic barks. He ran all our errands with us and would sit in my lap when I would drive.
What I'm going to miss most is...everything. He was an incredible dog and I loved him. We'll miss him.

5 comments:

Amelia said...

I know you miss the little attack dog!!! I hope you find a new dog to fill the void- however I think a new baby and a new house will be enough for a while!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry!! What sad news! I really wished we could have joined the fun at the cabin--next time for sure!!

Anonymous said...

What sad news...I know all of you really loved that dog. It's always hard to loose a pet, especially since they are so unconditionally loving! Luckily you have a lot going on to keep your mind busy for a little while. We sure hope you're able to purchase the home near our neighborhood so we can see more of you...

Chandler.Robyn said...

Sorry to hear about Alta. That's really sad. Hope everything is going ok with the move. Let us know if we can help.

Amelia said...

Enough with the dog- we need new info!!! Give us an update!!!